Thursday, September 8, 2011

Balancing Acts.......


And there has been no more prevalent time in my life for this struggle (within myself) as it has been with my teenagers. It's quite the balancing act, for sure. As a parent you must learn to let them go. Even if it is just bit by bit. Each time you loosen the reigns, they grow a little more. Sometimes, you may find that pulling back is just what's needed, in order for you to then, give them even more leeway. It's a constant dance of back and forth.

I'm still in the midst of this give and take phase. I know my children will thrive and most probably turn out to be fine, but I only hope that I will survive this particular journey.

You see, dear read, I'm quite attached to my children as I'm sure many of you are, and the thought of them not being here with me always, is hard for me to wrap my thoughts around. I know reality will kick in soon enough and the fruits of my child rearing labor will ultimately come to fruition.

And yes, logic tells me that this is what is supposed to happen, and that the Universe will be better off as a whole for it. I guess that last thought is what gives me peace of mind. The knowing that they will be contributing great kindness, love and empathy to all that they encounter, throughout their lives.

And in this, I will know full and true pride.

1 comment: